Re: stop NMI from automatic router switching

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 12:50 -0400, Aaron New wrote:
> On 6/6/06, Darren Albers" <dalbers gmail com>  wrote:
> >I am a bit confused, on my system Network-Manager never
> automatically
> >connects to a network unless I connect to it first.  So if there is
> an
> >open wireless network that you don't want to connect to it should
> >never connect to it unless you connected at least once.
>
> I filch a neighbor's wireless G signal, but when that is down I use my
> roommate's wireless B router.  I think NMI wants to connect to the B
> router (in the next room) because the signal is stronger, however the
> transfer rates I get from the G router (three floors above) are 10-50X
> faster.

NM doesn't use signal strength at this time because most signal strength
reporting under Linux is crap; blame drivers :)  Maybe in 2007 we can
actually start relying on this, as the situation _is_ getting better.
But NM uses a timestamp for which AP to connect to, and it picks the one
you last successfully connected to.

Dan