Re: Managing network mounts

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 01:06 +0200, elektro wrote:
> I'd suggest that NetworkManager (optionally) handles such network mounts
> in /etc/fstab, and I'd propose the following way:
>
> Put all network mounts in /etc/fstab with the noauto option, so the they
> don't get mounted by any init scripts.

I'd rather not have this logic in the core daemon, since stuff that uses
networks is rather tertiary to network management itself...  NM will
broadcast signals when the network goes up or down, and other programs
can use those signals as they see fit.  Programs like gnome-mount might
be able to take over some of these functions in the future.

As was pointed out, you can do this with scripts using
NetworkManagerDispatcher.  We might also fold NMD into NetworkManager in
the future as well.  I just don't think it makes sense to stuff all that
management code into NM itself.