Re: kernel headers ethtool.h and mii.h

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 10:19 -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:

> Is there something that needs to be exported in net/if.h or is it just
> application stupidity?

Nah, I think they both export the right stuff.

But I would not say the problem is "application stupidity" -- we have
two official headers that both define the same stuff.  While we may
expect an individual application to be smart enough to not include both,
what do we expect if an application uses various other libraries and
headers, that include the two files, plus does networking of its own?

This is what we see in NM: NM wants to get at this data, but so does
iwlib and mii.  We can have NM use whatever header we want, but iwlib
uses <net/if.h> and mii uses <linux/if.h>.

For SUSE, at least, I patched wireless-tools to use <linux/if.h>.  It
does not fix the underlying problem, but at least we can build.

	Robert Love