Re: NM & ath0 trouble

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 09:28 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 14:28 +0100, Tim Niemueller wrote:
>
> > Note that the mentioned website is about the new madwifi-ng driver,
> > which uses the new HAL from Atheros. The old madwifi driver can be
> > checked out as madwifi-old branch
> > (http://www.madwifi.org/browser/branches/madwifi-old) from svn and works
> > just fine.
>
> Indeed.
>
> But work is continuing on madwifi-ng and that will be the solution going
> forward, so we should get working on that.  It fixes a lot of other
> madwifi issues nicely, too.

So in the 3rd Edition of your book, Robert, can you pleasepleaseplease
add a chapter for "Making your driver play nice with others, including
HAL" that has a section on what to do to get the correct sysfs entries,
ie stuff like SET_NETDEV_DEV and ensuring the sysfs 'driver' link is
correct by passing the correct driver structure to the device init
routines (which I believe is SET_MODULE_OWNER)?

It seems there's complete lack of documentation on how to make drivers
interact with sysfs.