Re: Unknown problem with NetworkManager, No devices found.

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 01:37 +0100, Johan Christiansen wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Networkmanager does not work on my PC, and it has been like that for
> some weeks now. I was waiting for it to be fixed in a later release, but
> it seems it's a local problem, every version i try has the same problem.
>
> nm-applet says that no devices are found, and when i start NetworkManger
> --no-daemon, this is my output:
>
> laptop gentopia # NetworkManager --no-daemon
> NetworkManager: <information>   starting...
> uname -a:
> Linux laptop 2.6.16-rc3-nitro1-haz #1 PREEMPT Fri Feb 17 22:44:09 CET
> 2006 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> Please, i need help to how i can find the source of this problem.

Sure; if you have the 'strace' program, you could use that to figure out
what NM is doing.  When you run NM, open a new terminal and do:

strace -p `pidof NetworkManager`

Then mail the output for a duration of about 10 seconds or so in a
reply.

Second, if you have 'gdb', you should try this:

gdb attach `pidof NetworkManager`

Then, when you get the (gdb) prompt, type:

t a a bt

(That's "thread apply all backtrace") and mail the full output of that
as well in a reply.