Re: Cannot connect with madwifi

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 09:23 +0100, Tim Niemueller wrote:
> Tim Niemueller wrote:
> > Hi.
>
> Hi again.
>
> > I'm using a prism card with HostAP 0.4.7 on the other side (it's an old
> > box) with WEP. The first thing I noticed and that was mentioned before I
> > think is that the security mode is now set to open instead of restricted
> > as before. So I changed that setting on the access point as well but it
> > didn't help. iwconfig output suggests that the key is correctly set but
> > it cannot get a "lock" on the network. The AP MAC is correctly display.
>
> I can now add that I have been able to connect with the old madwifi
> driver. But this one reconnects about every 20 seconds with a message
>
> Feb 15 09:20:35 evilgenius kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): ath0: link is
> not ready

Yep, likely its dropping the connection due to a scan.  But that's
normal for most cards right now.

> in the log file. So it boils down to a madwifi problem, as it seems. Is
> NM triggering scans and then the connection breaks down? Is there some
> patch that I have to apply for madwifi-ng to get it running or anything
> I can do to get the old madwifi to associate?

Are you saying that the old madwifi doesn't work at all, or that it just
drops and reconnects every 20 seconds?

It seems madwifi-ng is pretty F-ed up right now, given my experience
with it on Monday with a fresh pull of SVN.  It doesn't even rescan and
attempt to reassociate when you set a new essid on the thing.