Re: A couple of minor issues with NM

On 12/24/06, Timothy Murphy <tim birdsnest maths tcd ie> wrote:
On Sunday 24 December 2006 17:54, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > I checked my access point (a Linksys WRT54LG running dd-wrt)
> > and there is no mention of "shared" or "open" that I can see.
> > I am asked if I want to use a key, and if so what kind
> > (WEP, WPA, RADIUS, etc).
>
> My Netgear config page has some Javascript and when I select WEP, it
> reloads the page with an option for shared or open or automatic (which I
> assume means the client decides).
>
> Does the dd-wrt documentation have anything to say?

The "help" for Wireless=>Wireless Security says
Security Mode

Help

Security Mode:
    You may choose from Disable, WEP, WPA Pre-Shared Key, WPA RADIUS, or
RADIUS. All devices on your network must use the same security mode.

This seems perfectly clear to me.
It is the NetworkManager choice of "open" or "shared" that I find confusing.

As far as I can see, "open" means "no key" and "shared" means "key".
Is that your understanding?

This is incorrect, WEP supports two modes open and shared and Mathew
earlier posted the differences.

What you are calling Open are really unencrypted access points, though
I guess it is common for people to call them open, but when you select
WEP there are open and shared modes and that is what we are talking
about so lets forget about the rest.

So now that we are beyond semantics back to your issue.

You said you selected WEP, on DD-WRT there is an option to enter a
passphrase.  Is that where you entered your key or did you enter it
into the fields below?

What worked for me in my testing was to enter a passphrase and save
it.  NetworkManager then detected my network, I selected 128 bit
passphrase, entered my passphrase, selected open system and then
connect.