Re: A couple of minor issues with NM

On Sunday 24 December 2006 17:54, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> > I checked my access point (a Linksys WRT54LG running dd-wrt)
> > and there is no mention of "shared" or "open" that I can see.
> > I am asked if I want to use a key, and if so what kind
> > (WEP, WPA, RADIUS, etc).
>
> My Netgear config page has some Javascript and when I select WEP, it
> reloads the page with an option for shared or open or automatic (which I
> assume means the client decides).
>
> Does the dd-wrt documentation have anything to say?

The "help" for Wireless=>Wireless Security says
Security Mode

Help

Security Mode:
    You may choose from Disable, WEP, WPA Pre-Shared Key, WPA RADIUS, or
RADIUS. All devices on your network must use the same security mode.

This seems perfectly clear to me.
It is the NetworkManager choice of "open" or "shared" that I find confusing.

As far as I can see, "open" means "no key" and "shared" means "key".
Is that your understanding?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366