Re: dependencies....

Question form a dummy:
Is there any plan to merge dhcdbd and NetworkManager ?

Dan Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 13:58 +0000, rvnues tesco net wrote:
>From http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/:

"The most important pieces of NetworkManager are desktop-environment and distribution agnostic, functioning just as well in Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc. across distributions like Fedora Core, Ubuntu, SuSE, Debian, and Gentoo."

So if these are the aims.. can I compile Netmanager on slackware without gnome ? (after long searches, on some gentoo-page, I discovered one has to 'configure --without-gnome') and still had to install quite a few other packages: hal, dbus, libnl, libgcrypt before to run into the required redhat-specific dhcbd... I gave up here, seems to be no end of dependencies.

No, dhcdbd is _not_ redhat specific; anyone using or shipping
NetworkManager ships dhcdbd.  That includes SUSE, Gentoo, Fedora,
Ubuntu, Debian, PLD, etc.

Maybe it would be VERY helpful if more specific installation/configuring-info is given in the README file; i.e. required packages; specific configuration options to bypass above problems etc??? Or maybe you sould state that the application is only for that restricted set of 5 (Fedora Core, Ubuntu, SuSE, Debian, and Gentoo) distributions ...

You're probably correct.

If anyone can give me some hint how to proceed, that would be very appreciated..

Installing dchdbd is likely the last piece you'd need.  Note that you
still need some user session applet or program to store and feed NM the
config information.  There are currently two of those; the Gnome applet,
and the KDE applet.