Re: Finding existing PPP connection?

It is all manufacturer specific, this is why gprsec has profiles for
all the providers and devices.   I honestly think that automatic setup
would be impossible for NetworkManager without a large database, maybe
the gprsec database can be leveraged?  The best that could be done
outside of that would probably be to have the fields since those are
somewhat standard.

Check out:
http://www.gprsec.hu/modules/phones/
http://www.gprsec.hu/modules/providers/

On 12/14/06, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 16:19 -0500, Darren Albers wrote:
> You can and it works just like any other modem except I dial #777 (Or
> whatever the vendor wants you to dial) and use a generic username with
> no password.  The Chatscript is provided by the phone vendors (Or at
> least Sierra Wireless provided one for my card).  I think some
> providers require a PIN but I am not sure how that is handled.

I'd like to do these bits as automatically as we can, I think.  For
example, can wvdial automatically figure out your modem init strings?
Or does it _really_ need a chat file?  How different are the various
carrier PPP servers?  Stuff like that...

Dan