NM is not being smart in a specific situation

Hey folks,

For some weird reason some days there is an ad hoc, non encrypted AP with the same
SSID of the corporate network I'm trying to connect to. I don't know if it's
the IT department playing games or just some fellow co-worker trying to
setup his own network in the office. The fact is that the Ad-Hoc AP confuses
NM,  which tries to connect to it instead of the right master AP.

I think there's something wrong here. NM should be smart enough to connect to the right
AP and not be fooled by a mere Ad-Hoc AP with a clashing ESSID. I feel this is even
a security issue, because it is a way to fool NM to connect to an AP it shouldn't...

I see these options to make NM work better in this scenario:

1. NM should try to connect only to APs with BSSIDs which it has already connected to in the past
(i.e., a BSSID which is stored in gconf's /system/networking/wireless/networks/<ESSID>/bssids)

2. Less restrictive option than above: at least warn the user that the specific AP being used was never
seen before. Probably a dialog with the options [Continue], [Ignore AP and try again] and [Abort].

3. NM should store in gconf a value which says if the network is Ad Hoc or infrastructure, and only
connect to an AP which matches that value.

4. Well, it's late. There's probably a 4th option...

What do you think? Am I onto something here? :-)
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann