Re: Network device name in FC5

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 09:02 +0200, sommerfj webmail co za wrote:
> I notice that an arbitrary device name, i.e. dev1804289383 is assigned to
> my wireless device instead of eth0. Sometimes eth0 is assigned as the
> device name.
>
> Normally not a problem, but now it has become a problem.
>
> I have installed vmware on FC 5 and neet to bridge my network devices to
> the virtual machine. If NetworkManager (or whoever) keeps on changing,
> this becomes a real mess.
>
> How can I convince NetworkManager to use the correct device name?

It's actually the initscripts, not NetworkManager, and the rename that's
not happening should have happened way before NM starts up.  Try asking
on Fedora specific lists for the solution.  It happens to me too
sometimes, but the beauty of NetworkManager is that you don't have to
care about what your device name is to be able to get net access.