Re: Hidden SSID Behavior

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 23:06 -0400, A S wrote:
> I was wondering if a "saved hotspots" setting will be implemented in
> the future. That way, connecting to any hidden SSID will be easy.
> Furthermore, what is technical feasibility of this? I know that my
> routers mac address was stored because i can see it in gconf-editor.
> Is it possible for network manager to connect to a router based on mac
> address?

I think in a reply to another post, I noted that if the card returns the
AP's BSSID in the scan result list, then NM should auto-connect to that
AP.  If the card doesn't return the BSSID of the non-broadcasting card,
then either (a) the AP isn't sending out _any_ beacon packets and isn't
just hiding the SSID, or (b) the driver needs to get fixed to return the
AP in the scan list even though there is no ESSID found in the beacon
packet.

The alternative is to implement ssid-specific scans, but that gets
expensive for all the non-broadcasting APs people just might have saved.
Each scan takes a bit of time and if your saved AP list keeps growing
gradually, at some point NM would take seconds to scan through all of
them.  Bad experience.  I'd prefer to figure out if the driver is the
issue here.  Do multiple 'iwlist ethX scan' separated by a few seconds
show the AP's BSSID at all?

Dan