Re: no WEP encryption without wpa_supplicant

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 02:58 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since NM 0.6, wpa_supplicant is a dependency for WEP encrypted wireless
> networks. If the wpa_supplicant binary is not found, the connection
> fails. Wouldn't it make sense if NM falls back in this case to the
> wireless extensions library libiw and sets the WEP key without the need
> for a running wpa_supplicant?

Yes, but IMHO requiring wpa_supplicant isn't that much of an issue for a
few reasons:

1) you need it for WPA and 802.1x stuff anyway
2) it overlaps a lot with NM
3) Using it exclusively removes quite a bit of nasty code from NM

You can argue either way, but I decided that since using wpa_supplicant
for everything makes NetworkManager a lot simpler, it was the way to go.