Network Manager not working

Hi folks...

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem I am having when trying to use NetworkManager. I have successfully downloaded and installed the package, but I can not get it to work at all :(

The icon appears in the notification area with a red X across it. When I hover over it with the pointer it reads "No Network Connection" which is not true as my Wireless card is connected and successfully working. When I click on it a "greyed" out box appears with the words "Wired Network" in it (no tick present.) When I right click on the icon there is an option to "Stop all Wireless Devices" and when I click this it still does not have an effect on the Wireless Card as it still works correctly.

Can you please advise as to how I could get this working as I require this tool for testing purposes.

Many thanks
Regards
Ciaran