Issue with Network Manager on Ubuntu Breezy on PPC

I am using Network Manager on Ubuntu Breezy on PPC.

Procedure used to install:
sudo apt-get build-dep network-manager
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome login
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co NetworkManager
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

Then I also had to run a ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc to actually get the makefiles
make
sudo make install

After these steps, NetworkManager was successfully installed.

I now start NetworkManager at boot using the /etc/init.d/NetworkManager script.

Issue #1: I have to start nm-applet as root, otherwise it will not start.
Issue #2: nm-applet does not save the WEP key entered. Error message displayed in terminal is

** (nm-applet:6142): WARNING **: Error saving passphrase in keyring.  Ret=6

Any pointers on how to build for debugging are also appreciated. I can also provide any other information required.

Thanks,
Venkat