Re: NM not connecting

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 01:06 +0200, Trond Hus�te:
> Hi Christopher/list,
>
> It sort of starts now, and I am getting a connection window up, but MN
> doesn't accept the WEP key.
> NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless) Stage 2
> (Device Configure) will connect to access point 'WIRELESSNAME'.
> NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless): access point
> 'WIRELESSNAME' is encrypted, and a key exists.  No new key needed.
> NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless): using essid
> 'WIRELESSNAME', with Open System authentication.
> NetworkManager: <debug info>    [1130107467.482403]  (): Activation
> (eth1/wireless): no hardware link to 'WIRELESSNAME' in Open System mode,
> trying Shared Key.
> NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1/wireless): using essid
> 'WIRELESSNAME', with Shared Key authentication.
> NetworkManager: <debug info>    [1130107478.035060]  (): Activation
> (eth1/wireless): no hardware link to 'WIRELESSNAME' in Shared Key mode,
> need correct key?
> NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) New wireless user key
> requested for network 'WIRELESSNAME'.
> NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) Stage 2 (Device
> Configure) complete.
> NetworkManager: <information>   Activation (eth1) New wireless user key
> for network 'WIRELESSNAME' received.

So, can you open a terminal window and run the command "watch -n 1
iwconfig eth1" and see what NM is trying to do?  This log indicates that
when trying to connect to the access point, NM is not able to get a
stable connection long enough.  It checks to see that the "Access Point"
field that iwconfig lists is a valid MAC address for at least 2 or 3
seconds before continuing with the connection.  Sometimes cards (like
the prism54) are stupid and require properties to be set in a particular
order to get the card to work.

One more question, what brand of access point do you have?

> I am also noticing that when you stop NetworkManager, it doesn't stop
> the network quite correctly. I have to do a deactivate in Network Device
> Control and then an activate to get the network up and running again
> (after stopping NM).

Can you post the results of an 'iwconfig eth1' and an 'ifconfig eth1'
after you have stopped NM?

Thanks!