Re: Any good news for Intersil Prism 2 users on Fedora Core?

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 11:55 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> I'm using FC4 and *really* want to try the new NM 0.5.0. However, in the
> past I haven't been able to because the driver for Intersil Prism 2
> cards didn't support scanning and various other things that NM needs.
> I've kept hearing for ages now that the latest versions of the driver
> will work with NM, but are those drivers in the latest FC4 kernels? I'm
> on kernel-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.i686. How can I determine which version of
> the orinoco_cs driver I have?

Try this command as root:

iwlist eth1 scan

(replacing eth1 with your adapter).  If you get results, then scanning
works for you.

> *If* the drivers I have are kosher, what steps do I have to take to use
> NM? I assume that I have to enable the NetworkManager and
> NetworkManagerDispatcher services, but which services which currently
> start network interfaces do I have to *disable*. Do I have to do
> anything with system-config-network (i.e. delete the network interfaces
> from it)?

Use the following commands to update:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing install NetworkManager bind dhcdbd
yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update NetworkManager bind dhcdbd