Re: Adding PPTP to NM 2

Hi Tim,    (cc. Steev and the NM list)

So people know what's going on I'll copy this to all you NM folk.

So I paused my WPA fiddlings again (hard) and pretty much finished this PPTP mod (less hard) of your OpenVPN code. Not that I've done anything very clever :-) It's not perfect ie. it seems to do all the necessaries but there are some strange bits like the fact that the passwords have to be stored in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets at the moment (a ppp relic I haven't figured a workround for).

There's also a load of unnecessary OpenVPN stuff in the PPTP config dialogues that I need to clear out perhaps replacing them with the pptp/ppp options that I've hard coded into the start_binary code for the moment.

I'm just trying to test it now.

I've had difficulty compiling it though (had to bodge some stuff)... it's this intltoolize stuff that Steev mentioned on the list a while back (I like him am a Gentoo user):

------------------------------
# autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --sys-confdir=/etc
~snip~
Running glib-gettextize... Ignore non-fatal messages.
Copying file mkinstalldirs
Copying file po/Makefile.in.in

Please add the files
 codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
 progtest.m4
from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

Running intltoolize...
intltoolize: 'po/Makefile.in.in' is out of date: use '--force' to overwrite
--------------------------

Perhaps you know more about this intltoolize stuff?
Or maybe Steev will read this and tell me what he did. I meant to mail him earlier - I couldn't find a sufficient answer in the Gentopia overlay or in the archive.

It seems to be something to do with autogen copying the wrong (glib-gettextize as opposed intltoolize) version of Makefile.in.in into po/.

tOnY

PS. yes, PPTP seems to go through a NAT box in either direction just fine.
      sadly, MS-CHAP-v1/v2 pretty much suck :-)

Tim Niemueller wrote:

Antony J Mee wrote:
on finishing my WPA mods instead.  Annoyingly NM is useless for me both
at home (WPA) and at work (PPTP VPN)... Yet somehow I still think it's
great!

Oh yes, I would love to see WPA support in NM, too!
Shout if you do put something together.  I can perhaps give you a login
to my PPTP box for testing if you wish.  Getting it working really isn't
rocket science anymore either... One simply has to apply the kernel
patch, install the pptp client and possibly (depending on the version)
patch your pppd (though unlikely now I think 2.4.3 is all good).

OK, I will also try to get it running here. Does PPTP allow for NAT
traversal? Then it could be an idea to test it to your PPTP gate as well.

	Tim