Re: Card cannot scan

On Fri 27 May 2005 23:30, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > Can I assume that NM will not work with my WiFi card
> > if I get the following response?
> > ====================================
> > [tim martha ~]$ sudo iwlist eth0 scan
> > eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning : Operation not supported
> > ====================================
> >
> > My card is a Lucent/Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card (11b), firmware version
> > 8.72. I am running Fedora-3,
> > and using the orinoco_cs module.
>
> See:
> http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html

Thanks very much for the pointer.

May I say first that I was actually asking a general question,
rather than one about my card, namely:
if iwlist shows that the card does not support scanning,
is it a waste of time to try NM with that card and driver?

However, I am very grateful for any advice about my card.
I am actually running orinoco-0.15rc1
=======================================
[tim martha ~]$ dmesg | grep orinoco
orinoco 0.15rc1STA (David Gibson <hermes gibson dropbear id au>, Pavel Roskin
<proski gnu org>, et al)
orinoco_cs 0.15rc1STA (David Gibson <hermes gibson dropbear id au>, Pavel
Roskin <proski gnu org>, et al)
=======================================
(This is more recent than the kernel version.)
so apparently I have the above patch in place.

Unfortunately, I do not seem able to turn on monitor mode
in the way specified:
=======================================
[tim martha ~]$ sudo iwpriv eth0 monitor 1 10
Invalid command : monitor
=======================================

According to "iwlist eth0 channel" I am currently on channel 10.
=======================================
[tim martha ~]$ iwlist eth0 channel
eth0      14 channels in total; available frequencies :
          Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
          Channel 13 : 2.472 GHz
          Current Frequency=2.457 GHz (Channel 10)
=======================================

Probably a rather ignorant question,
but what is the relation between monitor mode and scanning?

These are the settings for my card.
=======================================
[tim martha ~]$ iwconfig eth0
eth0      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"maths.tcd.ie"  Nickname:"martha"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: 02:02:2D:4A:52:80
          Bit Rate:11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=69/92  Signal level=-80 dBm  Noise level=-121 dBm

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366