Re: NM_MAIN 1.321 report

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:02 -0500, Bill Moss wrote:
> ipw2200-1.0.2 report. The main issue for the ipw2200 driver continues to
> be failures to load firmware at boot or firmware restarts. These
> failures do not always occur which makes them hard to trace. I saw this
> frequently with the 2.6.9 kernels, especially when using NM. I did not
> see this with the 2.6.10 kernels. I am seeing it again with the  FC4
> 2.6.11 kernels. I am currently reloading the modules at the end of the
> boot process to workaround this issue. In rc.local I have added.

Same here, this appears to be an initscript problem but its too early in
the bootprocess to be able to log to a file.  The only way to debug
appears to be serial console.  Incidentally, since the request_firmware
() function in the driver is returning -ENOENT, that means that the
firmware hotplug script cannot find the firmware file.  However, on my
machine the firmware file is in the correct place (/lib/firmware).

Bill Nottingham (initscript maintainer) is aware of the issue, not sure
how much progress he's been making on debugging it though.  A bunch of
us here at the office are experiencing this problem though on both
ipw2100 and ipw2200.