Re: NetworkManager failure

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I tried to run NetworkManager without success earlier today.
>
> I am running Fedora-3 with kernel-2.6.11 and KDE,
> with a classic Oricoco Gold PCMCIA card (802.11b).

Ok, the first problem here is that the Orinoco drivers don't support wireless
scanning at this time.  That's slowly being worked on upstream.  You can verify
this by doing "iwlist <your card>" as root, if the drivers don't support
scanning it will return an error.

NetworkManager really really does want the card to be able to scan.  Upstream
orinoco drivers don't have this problem, but what the kernel has is a bit old.

> I noticed that the Mode was Managed according to iwconfig,
> while normailly the card is in Ad-hoc mode.

NetworkManager connects to base stations in Managed mode, in which it will do
DHCP and everything like that.  Ad-Hoc mode isn't really supported for DHCP at
this time, and only will do auto-ip addressing (aka ZeroConf/Rendezvous).  Do
you normall run your network in Ad-Hoc mode, and if so, why?