NetworkManager failure

I tried to run NetworkManager without success earlier today.

I am running Fedora-3 with kernel-2.6.11 and KDE,
with a classic Oricoco Gold PCMCIA card (802.11b).

What I did was:

1, Installed NetworkManager and NetworkManager-gnome:
 sudo yum install NetworkManager
 sudo yum install NetworkManager-gnome

2. I asked chkconfig to run NetworkManager, and rebooted
 sudo chkconfig NetworkManager on
 sudo shutdown -r now

3. After re-booting, NetworkManager was running
but there was no "windmill icon" in the panel.
I found that NetworkManagerIInfo was not running.
But even when I started it (with the command "NetworkManagerInfo")
the icon still did not appear.
The connection to my local access point was broken.

However, iwconfig showed that the access point was "visible",
as also was clear from the fact that both lights on the PCMCIA WiFi card
came on.
I noticed that the Mode was Managed according to iwconfig,
while normailly the card is in Ad-hoc mode.

Incidentally, with this latest version of NetworkManager,
when I turned NetworkManager off (with chkconfig)
and re-booted the original status was restored,
and the usual connection was recovered.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366