Re: "Repair" function

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 11:30 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> No, there's no wireless authentication at MIT.  The only "authentication" is
> done at the DHCP level, not at the 802.11 level.

I don't spend much time on campus, so I could be wrong, but AFAICT, they
put you on a different network based on if you've authenticated (on
their web form) using an IP that was requested with your card's MAC
address.

> tcpdump wont help.  The problem is that MIT uses the same SSID in all
> buildings even though each building uses a different subnet.  So, when
> you change buildings you have to re-run the DHCP process to get a new,
> valid IP address on the new subnet.

Well, that's a pretty broken setup.  But that aside, just clicking on
the network in the menu again should cause NM to request a new lease.

--
        Peter