Re: "Repair" function

Quoting Peter Jones <pjones redhat com>:

> On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 11:08 -0400, Jason Mellein wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here @ mit we have wireless all over the place. Unfortunately when you
> > move your laptop (without shutting down) from one region (eg: a
> > building) to another (eg: another building), your adapter is under the
> > impression nothing has changed because the SSID remains the same. I
> > don't know the precise details of what changes but the connection no
> > longer works (even though the signal strength is strong & the adapter
> > thinks you're still good).
>
> I suspect this has to do with MIT's authentication system, which is
> pretty complicated.  Any chance you can get something like a tcpdump log
> of what windows sends to the network when this happens?

No, there's no wireless authentication at MIT.  The only "authentication" is
done at the DHCP level, not at the 802.11 level.  tcpdump wont help.  The
problem is that MIT uses the same SSID in all buildings even though each
building uses a different subnet.  So, when you change buildings you have to
re-run the DHCP process to get a new, valid IP address on the new subnet.

-derek

       warlord MIT EDU                        PGP key available