Re: networkmanager wpa status?

> Work is proceeding slowly, but should be ramping up soon in the next
> couple of weeks.  Its something we need to have.
>
> That said, having looked a bunch at wpa_supplicant again, I'm no longer
> convinced that it should be standalone.  I'm just not sure, but it
> depends on how much the upstream maintainer _dis_likes patches that
> would give the ability to turn wpa_supplicant into a library.  He's
> stated that he doesn't see a reason to do so in the past, but perhaps
> we've just got more convincing to do.

Can certainly see your point of view as it would make it much easier
to use wpa_supplicant including status tracking. But if were going to
begin from "scratch" perhaps Open1x (http://www.open1x.org) should
have a chance. Maybe they're more into the library idea.
One big downside to Open1x is configuration. Last time i looked the
configuration needed for WPA seemed allot more difficult than
wpa_supplicant. Also I think it will take more development hours to do
than wpa_supplicant. Only guessing thou. The extra work might be worth
it because then NM would be able to do 802.1x wired as well as
wireless.

Lastly if quick development is of great importance I'm probably not
the one for the job. I have zero library development experience. Thou
I will gladly help as much as i can and as fast as I can ;).

--
Tim Warberg
Email: twarberg at gmail.com