Re: dhcdbd: Failed to initialise D-Bus service

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 09:02 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> Just for fun, I tried installing dhcdbd, NetworkManager,
> NetworkManager-gnome NetworkManager-devel, NetworkManager-glib from
> Fedora/development.  Here's what I get:
>
> Jun 21 08:58:52 nbecker2 dhcdbd: Failed to initialise D-Bus service.
> Jun 21 08:58:53 nbecker2 dhcdbd: dbus_svc_init: dbus_bus_request_name
> failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied Connection ":1.94" is not
> allowed to own the service "com.redhat.dhcp" due to security policies in
> the configuration file
>
> What's this about and how do I fix it?

You've got to get dbus restarted, or at least "killall -HUP dbus-daemon"
as root.  If the HUP doesn't work, then you need to restart dbus,
haldaemon, and NetworkManager, in that order with the '/sbin/service <x>
restart' command.  When you update services that use dbus and their
service security policy changes, or when you add new services, the
messagebus needs to be aware of those changes.

David Zeuthen has been thinking about doing this automatically with
gamin/fam, which would be a good thing.  This is something that dbus
doesn't do very well right now.