Re: [patch] making the applet stetic.

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 13:37 -0400, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

Hi, jrb.

> Now for the rationale for using the cell progress bars.  The primary
> purpose of the cell renderer is to provide a progress bar suitable for
> rendering in menus and lists.  It is supposed to be 'flat', as opposed
> to GtkProgressBar, which is supposed to be suitable for general
> embedding.  Some themes draw GtkProgressBar in a flat manner, and thus
> the progress looks fine in the menus.  However, themes such as Bluecurve
> draw this widget beveled, which makes them look odd in a menu.
> Bluecurve also draws the progress cell renderers badly.  However,
> Clearlooks does a significantly better job, as it sets its x/y thickness
> to 1.  I put a screenshot up here comparing the two:
>
> http://www.gnome.org/~jrb/files/progress-comparison.png
>
> There's no reason this progress bar should look so bad on other themes,
> and we should fix the themes to make them look better.

I'm not totally following the rationale why gtkrendercellprogressfoo is
better.  Simply that it is (supposed) to look better embedded in menus?
Is that really a good enough reason for all of the code?

For what its worth, the gtkrendercell things look awful in Industrial
and whatever Ubuntu uses, compared to Gtk Progress Bars.

> There are a couple of other issues that you listed:
>
> > 	- Follows the system theme.  The current Gtkcellrender thing
> > 	  is not correctly themed.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this?  Do you mean that it doesn't
> honor theme changes?  Or is it getting some things wrong.

Hm, maybe it was my test themes, but it didn't follow the rest of the
theme.  It was the wrong color.

It also just looks generally uglier to me, but that is objective.

> > 	- Dynamically-sized based on the current language and font
> > 	  ascent, to five ascents long and one high.  This elegant
> > 	  code is c/o Joey Shaw.
>
> This code seems fine, and chould easily be propagated to the
> CellRendererProgress.  If you want it to adjust in changes to the system
> font or theme (which would be pretty cool), you should do it in a
> "style-set" signal callback.

Yah, I need to grab the signal.  I meant to add a TODO item since (at
the time) I did not know the name of the signal.  Thanks!  ;-)

	Robert Love