Re: [patch] Support Debian's resolvconf

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 04:19:47PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 12:12 -0400, Will Dyson wrote:

> >  But playing
> > nice with resolvconf is so easy, I just don't understand the objection
> > to it.
>
> If I remember from when I used Debian there's about 50 networking
> packages with various bits of functionality; we could include code in
> NetworkManager to e.g. optionally use ifupdown to monitor link state,
> guessnet for doing DHCP, etc.  We could add patches to use all of these,
> but what's the point?
>
> Just don't install those packages.
>
> > The former. My laptop is the only machine that runs NM. All my
> > machines have resolvconf.
>
> What we want to do is get to the point where NM is installed everywhere,
> from servers to desktops to laptops.  It should be *the* networking API.
> That way even on servers or desktops, applications can e.g. listen for
> D-BUS signals on network availability and react accordingly.

I completely agree. Thanks!

All these fancy options are a complete nightmare of maintenance and
gain us _nothing_ but problems in moving ahead to a modern dynamic system
environment. I strongly vote for not adding any of these things
upstream. These options should be local to the distribution that is
willing to handle and support these options. :)

Thanks,
Kay