Re: [rfc] modems, isdn, and other relics of the stone age.

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 18:04 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:
>
> > I think we've at least written off PPP and ISDN as being completely
> > manual, since they require a load of configuration information already.
> > We also cannot detect when we have carriers on these at all points.
>
> I would hope you haven't written this off completely.  I'd very much like to use
> NM to control my PPP-over-PCS configuration.  Right now I have to manually
> ifup/ifdown the interface; it would be nice if it were tied into NM so I could
> ifup/ifdown from NM instead of manually.

I may have been unclear :)  We haven't written PPP/ISDN off at all, just
decided that there's no possible way to make it "automatic" as with
wired & 802.11 networks.  Therefore, its going to be more of a manual
operation to connect, most likely, as with non-carrier-detecting
Ethernet cards.