Re: 2 questions...

Derek Atkins wrote:
Quoting Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:

- when someone logs in the nm-applet managed by gdm goes away and is
replaced with the nm-applet in the user session (this, similar schemes
for e.g. fast-user-switching).

As we've talked about before, something like this would be completely
acceptable.

I think something like this would work.. But how would one configure the
"available" or "preferred" networks in the nobody context?  Provided there is
some way for a user to push this list of networks/keys into the nobody context
I have no objection to it working this way.  It's effectively what I wanted,
although I was thinking it would be done by NM itself.

My personal preference is still to have NM store the data in a root-only context
and NM-applet can pass the preferred list to NM.. That way NM can still make
decisions based on preferred networks without the applet.  Perhaps user can
choose whether to tell NM to save the info in the global context or save it in
the user context?

Honestly...  Am I really the only person here that considers laptops effectively
single-user?  It really sounds like you're architecting for a multi-user laptop
and leaving the single-user laptops in a lurch, having to jump through a bunch
of hoops..  Isn't the network generally a system resource, not a user
resource?

I agree with you with the single-user nature of laptops. And also the fact that it should connect to known networks without login in.

I also need it for other reasons than kerberos:
- i can't acces my samba shares until i log in, using my laptops as mobile file server, sometimes i expect to just power it on and be able to acces my files. - the same for apache (holding my wiki) and hula holding my contacts/planning

Making gdm starting the network would a fairly good solution as Davis Z proposed.

--
Sebest

Dan

-derek