Re: [patch] don't display very-low-strength APs

The ipw2200 driver coverts signal level in dbm to signal quality in percent using a quadratic model which I developed. This model and a simpler linear model are discussed in the article http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/dbm-rssi.shtml. The ipw2200 driver computes link quality (as reported by iwconfig) as a min of signal quality, transmit quality, receiver quality, beacon quality, and rate quality, but for many drivers, link quality is the same as signal quality, that is, the signal level in dbm converted to a percentage.

At this time, there is no standard for conversion of signal level in dbm to signal quality as a percentage. In the above article, I suggested using 20% for the disassociation link quality which would put the clear channel link quality in the range of 1-10%.

Until the wireless driver maintainers agree on some standard approach to conversion from dbm to percent, any use of link quality to change the behaviour of NM is not advised.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences