Re: MII-less network card support

Tom Parker wrote:

NetworkManager: SWITCH: old device no longer good, but no better device was available

Given this wired card is the only one in this machine, this is somewhat annoying. Now, I *think* this might be linked into the fact that my crappy network card is breaking HAL somewhat, as it's entry in hal-device-manager has the net.80203 capability, and a net.interface_up as '1', but no net.80203.link entry, in direct contravention of the HAL 0.42 spec. I'll have a look at that at some point...

I've managed to figure out how to fix my problems, and it may also help some of the other people with issues re: net.80203.link. HAL appears to have undergone some considerable changes (e.g. what looks like the start of a complete rewrite of the linux 2.6 backend) in current CVS HEAD vs. the 0.4-stable branch. I've just compiled the latest CVS, tested it briefly, and suddenly I have accurate info for my network card and my remaining bug has dissappeared. For the interested, I've created Debian packages of the current HAL CVS, and they're available at http://tevp.net/debian/. Note that I've basically just copied+pasted the existing debian packaging files from the 0.4.7-1 package, with only adding this CVS version to the changelog. This currently WFM, but YMMV.

Hopefully these packages, or at least this information, is of use to others having problems.

Tom