Re: MII-less network card support

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 00:35 +0100, Tom Parker wrote:
> I've managed to figure out how to fix my problems, and it may also help
> some of the other people with issues re: net.80203.link. HAL appears to
> have undergone some considerable changes (e.g. what looks like the start
> of a complete rewrite of the linux 2.6 backend) in current CVS HEAD vs.
> the 0.4-stable branch.

That's right; woow, you shouldn't be using HAL CVS HEAD, it's not really
ready for prime time yet :-)

> I've just compiled the latest CVS, tested it
> briefly, and suddenly I have accurate info for my network card and my
> remaining bug has dissappeared. For the interested, I've created Debian
> packages of the current HAL CVS, and they're available at
> http://tevp.net/debian/. Note that I've basically just copied+pasted the
> existing debian packaging files from the 0.4.7-1 package, with only
> adding this CVS version to the changelog. This currently WFM, but YMMV.
>
> Hopefully these packages, or at least this information, is of use to
> others having problems.

NM will require some very slight patching to work with HAL CVS; notably
it will have to use net.physical_device to get the hal device object
with the physical properties such as name etc.; I plan to send a patch
for that when I start doing unstable 0.5.x releases (in a few weeks).
There's also the D-BUS API change to consider but that's another
thing I'll have to sort out with Dan and John P (for Fedora, that is).

David