Re: Network Manager

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, David Donnelly wrote:
> However, having the ability to view multiple choices means that I can
> see all my neighbour's as well. I am just wondering if there is a way to
> specify a "preferred" network. My SSID is not encrypted but does not
> broadcast either. I can connect if I specify the SSID. I also would like

NetworkManager stores the ESSID and address of access points you've connected to
before. In that sense, those networks are "preferred".  NetworkManager will
notice your home access point during the wireless scans, and attempt to connect
to it automatically when you start up your laptop.  If it cannot see your home
access point (wireless scanning won't show every access point every time) it
will search for another one, or wait until it can see yours.

Non-ESSID broadcasting access points are a bit harder to work with, but not
impossible.  A scan will always show the access point's MAC (ethernet) address,
but not the ESSID.  Therefore, if you've used "Connect to other wireless
network" from the applet at least once, NM stores the MAC address of the access
point and can connect automatically to it as well, even if its not broadcasting
its ESSID.

So to deal with your problem, don't connect to neighbors (you may need to clear
out the GConf keys for your neighbors' access points), and connect to yours at
least once using the menu.  NM should automatically connect thereafter.

> to know if I can automate the connection process on boot that it trys to
> connect to my SSID. The Network Manager Daemon starts but I need to run
> "NetworkManagerInfo" from the console to start a scan. I would like this
> process to start automatically if possible. When I do run the command,
> it connects to my neighbour even though I was last connected to my own
> access point.

NetworkManagerInfo provides NM with the list of "allowed" (preferred) access
points, without which NM will refuse to connect to any wireless network. The
best way to do this is to add it to your GNOME session, or to add it to the
"Startup Programs" tab in the gnome-session-properties application.  NMI should
then start up automatically each time you log into GNOME.

Also, make sure you're running the latest NetworkManager.  I need to update the
version that's in FC3 since its a bit old, but the stuff I've just described
here should work with a recent version of NM.  If you've got any further
questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,