RE: Tried and Failed NetworkManager on Fedora 3

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 10:47 -0500, Robert Lewis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had a similar issue.  Everything seemed to work fine, until I
> started searching for wireless networks.  If I wasn't able to connect
> to a wireless network, I couldn't get the NIC to activate again.  I
> had to stop NetworkManager, and reactivate my NIC.  I upgraded to
> NetworkManager-0.3.3-1.cvs20050202.3.1, and NetworkManger-
> gnome-0.3.3-1.cvs20050202.3.1 and the problem was resolved.  I am now
> able to switch back to Wired Network, using the NetworkManager applet.
>

> HP/Compaq nc8000 laptop with Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG wireless is what I am using, with the same kernel, 2.6.10-1.760_FC3
>

> Wireless works fine, as long as I don't need to use encryption.  I'm
> still struggling with this, as our access points at work are
> configured with WAP.
>
> Anyone have any success using WAP with FC3, and NetworkManager?

Do you mean "WPA" (Wireless Protected Access) that's usually available
on 802.11g base stations?  If so, then NetworkManager doesn't support
that yet because its a more-complicated algorithm and there isn't
universal driver support at this time.  I plan on making NM talk to
wpa_supplicant at some near-future date to enable this functionality
though.