Re: gconf problems with head.

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 11:42 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 11:28 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
>
> > I know you were going to break GConf backward-compatibility, but I
> > cannot even start nm-applet with my existing GConf keys:
> >
> >         ** (nm-applet:10413): WARNING **: <WARNING>    ():
> >         applet-dbus-info.c:472 (nmi_dbus_get_network_properties):
> >         couldn't retrieve security information from GConf.
> >
> >         (repeatedly)
> >
> > And nothing works.
> >
> > We need a way to handle the transition.  Ideally, we could migrate the
> > keys.  But, really, we just need to not die and somehow recover by
> > writing out the new format.
>
> Gosh, read this, I sure sound whiny.
>
> I was not whining.  Just an FYI, the applet barfs on the old Gconf
> format.  Even the daemon prints some warnings.

Yep, totally broken right now with stuff stored in GConf.  I've finally
got it connecting to an AP by clicking one in the menu now, which is
also why I'm finally online with VPN and replying to email.  That's in
CVS already.

I do want to provide backwards GConf compatibility.  This will likely
take the form of falling back to converting the old scheme into a new
NMGConfWSO object if the first pull from GConf fails.  Shouldn't be too
hard.  Or, alternatively, do a one-shot conversion of any old entries
each time the applet loads.  I'm not sure I like that one as much, but
the code for it would be much more maintained.

What's more interesting is how to clean out keys from other auth
methods, but that I assume will just be removing keys that aren't valid
for the current security option that network has set.