Re: Static IP

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 infernux web de wrote:
> It doesn't work for me... Let me explain what I want to do: I have
> a WLAN setup which works great using NM. But I also need access
> to a NFS share on a computer that is not part of the wireless
> network. So I plug in the network cable, the NM applet goes into
> searching mode and it stays that way. "Wired Network" is selected,
> the interface is up but no IP is assigned...

That's a bug.  I'll check static IP support over again to see if there's
anything missing.

> I'm also wondering why the WLAN connection is abandoned as
> soon as a cable is plugged in, in my case I would want to still
> have a working internet connection while beeing connected to
> the LAN fileserver.

Because by design, NetworkManager will keep only one connection active at
a time.  Its not intended for people that need more than one connection
up, though that may be added at a future date.  The # of people who do
this was deemed to be quite limited versus the amount of effort that would
be required to make sure multiple connections worked correctly.