Re: CVS-12-20-04

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 00:13 -0500, Bill Moss wrote:
> CVS-12-20-04 + ipw2200-0.19 + ipw2000-fw-2.2
> My home AP is immediately discovered
>
> Dec 20 23:46:37 localhost NetworkManager: AUTO: Best wired device =
> (null), best wireless device = eth1 (mosswap)
> Dec 20 23:46:39 localhost NetworkManager: HAVELINK: act=1
> Dec 20 23:46:39 localhost NetworkManager: HAVELINK: act=1
> Dec 20 23:46:39 localhost NetworkManager: dhcp_interface_init: MAC
> address = 00:0e:35:14:60:d0
> Dec 20 23:46:39 localhost NetworkManager: Broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER
> 1656 lines of dhcp messages in syslog
> Dec 20 23:46:48 localhost NetworkManager: DHCP_ACK received from �
> (192.168.2.1)
> Dec 20 23:46:48 localhost NetworkManager: Your IP address = 192.168.2.3
> Dec 20 23:46:48 localhost NetworkManager:
> nm_device_activation_worker(eth1): device activated
> Dec 20 23:46:48 localhost NetworkManager:
> nm_state_modification_monitor() activated device eth1
> Dec 20 23:46:52 localhost NetworkManager: nm_device_set_bitrate(): error
> setting bitrate 11000 KHz for device eth1.  errno = 95

Hmm, the bitrate setting thing should not be happening for your card
AFAIK, its only useful for cards in ad-hoc mode that don't set their own
bitrate, or report 0 for a bitrate and then proceed to perform horribly
(ie Atheros 5212).  But since this is connecting in
Managed/Infrastructure mode (since it did the DHCP) it should not be
hitting this code.  I'll have to investigate.  It would help to get the
output of 'iwlist eth1 scanning' at your home network though (rub out
the MAC addresses if you like).

> Other Wireless Networks ...
> Create New Wireless Network ...
>
> When I select either of these, I see the same dialog box so what is the
> distinction?

Technically, the text is different in the second dialog.  You did read
the dialog text, didn't you? :)  I added Ad-Hoc support last week,
allowing you to create your own ad-hoc network and others to connect to
it.  Ad-Hoc support in NetworkManager currently uses _only_ link-
local/ZeroConf addressing, I'm not sure what other platforms like Mac OS
X do for their "Create wireless network" stuff (ie whether or not they
actually run a DHCP server on that platform or just do link-local) but
we can adapt.  You basically create your own network, then somebody else
can connect to it and you can see each other and share files or
information.  This works without having to know your IP address if you
use ZeroConf/Rendezvous enabled services like gnome-meeting or gnome-
user-share.  In the case of gnome-user-share, the moment NetworkManager
grabs a link-local address, the other computer's Public Files folder
will immediately pop up in your Network folder in Nautilus.  Pretty
cool :)