ethereal experiment

The built-in DHCP client in cvs20041208 works on my campus network with Cisco AP's and routers but does not work at home with my SMC Barricade 7004 AWBR. I used ethereal on another home machine to capture the packets broadcast when my laptop uses the FC3 utility dhclient and when it uses NM. Since the Barricade is a switch, all I can capture is what is broadcast by the laptop but it appears that in the case of NM, the Barricade does not make any response.

dhclient and NM both start with identical
Multicast Listener Report Message
Neighbor Solicitation
Router Solicitation

But then the DHCP Requests are different.
dhclient makes a 342 byte request while NM makes a 323 byte request. Both requests begin with the same SRC and DST but then they begin to differ.

--
Bill Moss
Professor, Mathematical Sciences