Re: GDB Console

Hi William

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 4:40 AM, William Huizinga <wshuizinga gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I've been working up a prototype for a GDB console window so far based on
Gtk::TextView for my own benefit and I thought I would inquire whether there
were any interest in such a beast from the Nemiver maintainers.

There is already such feature in the work in the "console" branch in
nemiver's git repository.

Architecturally speaking, my intention is just to pass anything user types
to GDB via the MI -interpreter-exec command and display anything passed to
me by the IDebugger console_message_signal.

This kind of architecture has always been refused by the maintainers.
The accepted solution was to provide a small command interpreter that
will use directly Nemiver's exposed API. And as a last recourse
provide a command for direct access to the compiler command
interpreter.

This would be enough I think to
satisfy my needs, would it be enough to bother including in the main source
tree?  I do see that a GDB console has been on the wishlist for a long time
and doesn't seem to have materialized.  Perhaps I'm missing something and
this is much trickier than I think it is?

This is a work I started years ago but never took time to "finish"
even thought it was almost ready for submission upstream. I should
probably upstream the work...

Bill