Re: Problems running autogen for Nemiver

Hi Dodji/Luca,
After I switched back to the gtk2-branch, now I am able to run configure successfully. But I had to run autogen.sh with '--disable-autotests' because even on the gtk2-branch, running autogen.sh without any arguments (i.e. with autotests enabled) gives the same error. But this is better than previous time because now I don't get the gtksourceview related errors :) So, thanks for your help !

I apologize that I am not able to remain in correspondence as regularly as I should. Reason is that my school is still in session as the quarter is nearing its end. Once the quarter ends, I should be free of everything else so that I can concentrate on this wonderful opportunity of GSoC 2011 :)

Thanks again for your support - both Dodji and Luca!

regards,
Seemanta

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 2:16 AM, Dodji Seketeli <dodji seketeli org> wrote:
Hello Semanta,

> I  am really confused at this point. My confusion points are as below:
>
> 1. The configure script does say that 'libboost_test_exec_monitor-mt' is
> found. Yet in /usr/lib it is not present :(
>
> 2. The configure script bails out when 'boost_unit_test_framework-mt' is not
> found. Yet, in /usr/lib it is present :(

Yeah, I think the m4 scripts that we use to detect the presence of the
boost libs are a bit buggy in their error messages.  When they don't
find something, the reporting about what they didn't find can be wrong.
When I understand precisely where the problem is coming from I'll try to
fix those m4 scripts.

> 3. As for boost-static, I could not find any equivalent package under
> Ubuntu. I have installed all packages for libboost yet not sure
> where to get the 'libboost_test_exec_monitor-mt' library. Even strange is
> the fact that the configure script seems to find it.

I think you don't necessarily need  libboost_test_exec_monitor-mt.  If
you have libboost_test_exec_monitor.a, it should be enough.  Hence the
"and/or" in my previous email.  Do you have libboost_test_exec_monitor.a
at least ?

> As you had asked, I am attaching the configure file here.

Thanks.  The email went to the moderation queue and I discarded it by
mistake, sorry.  I am too use to hit the "discard" checkbox for spam :-(
Maybe you could re-send the mail, if you still have it?  I will try hard
not to discard it this time :-(

> 4. After that, I tried building with --disable-auto-tests option. But now I
> am getting more errors. I am pasting the errors here. Looks like there a
> bunch of libraries which are out of date for me. I tried 'apt-get build-dep
> nemiver', but that also did not solve the problems as it reported that all
> my dependencies were in order.
>

> checking for NEMIVERUICOMMON... configure: error: Package requirements (
> gtkmm-2.4 >= 2.20                gtk+-2.0 >= 2.22
> gtksourceviewmm-2.0 >= 2.10                vte >= 0.12.0 gmodule-2.0 >=
> 2.14            gthread-2.0 >= 2.14            libxml-2.0 >=
> 2.6.22            libgtop-2.0 >= 2.14            glibmm-2.4 >= 2.14 gtkhex
>>= 2.21.4) were not met:
>
> Requested 'gtk+-2.0 >= 2.22' but version of GTK+ is 2.20.1
> Requested 'gtksourceviewmm-2.0 >= 2.10' but version of Gtksourceviewmm is
> 2.2.0

I think you are trying to build from the master branch, aren't you?  If
this is the case, then it seems like your version of Ubuntu doesn't have
recent enough GNOME3-ish libraries.  So you should work against the
gtk2-branch of the Nemiver repository instead, e.g, by issuing the
command:

   git checkout --track -b <name-of-your-branch> origin/gtk2-branch

You are seeing this because we are transitioning master to the GNOME3
based libraries, as I have explained in
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nemiver-list/2011-April/msg00010.html.

That's why I said in
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/nemiver-list/2011-April/msg00022.html
that:

   First of all, if you are going to hack on a GNOME2 based environment,
   your work should be based on the gtk2-branch.  Otherwise, if you are
   in a GNOME3 environment, your work should be based on master.  I
   maintain both branches actively.

I hope this works for you, and I am sorry to see you painfully caught
into the move toward GNOME3 :-(