Nemiver development status

Hello,

Here is a little status on what I have been up to in Nemiver-land
lately. Unlike most new kids on the blog I tend to prefer sending
these updates to you, fine readers of this mailing list :-)

As you might have noticed Nemiver 0.8.1 was pushed out the door
recently. It was a bug fixes and cleanup release. I haven't heard any
catastrophy from that release yet. If the sky falls in the coming days
odds are that it won't be because of 0.8.1, hopefully.

I resurrected the better-variable-format branch[1]. That branch is about
enabling the GDB pretty-printing functionality. That feature enables
users to inspect e.g, C++ standard libraries' containers in a more user
friendly manner. Suppose you have:

     std::string great_debugger = "Nemiver";

If you hover over the variable great_debugger after its initialization
the inspector popup window will you should the "Nemiver" in the content
part -- instead of an ugly tree of cabalistic templated type
instances. Note that GLib/Gtk+ users should also be pleased by that
feature as GDG pretty printers are available for that stack as
well. Normally GNU/Linux distributions should have everything in place
for GDB pretty printers to just work. We, Nemiver people, are just
proudly seating on the shoulders of giants here.

There is a simple check button to activate or de-activate the feature
in the preference dialog in the debugger tab. The feature is activated
by default.

In the same branch, I was planning to also add the ability to change
the format of each variable in the variable editors. I.e, for a given
variable you should be able to see it value in hexadecimal or integer
etc... This would be more useful when we have the support for variable
monitoring. In any case the branch now has the initial backend work
necessary for the feature. Now I still need to hack on the UI part.

Incidentally while working on that branch I did a couple of cleanups
that I merged into the master branch yesterday.

As usual, many many new language translations flew in and are still
flowing in - constantly. I wonder when *when* do the translators
sleep. Kudos they deserve.

That's all for the this status.

Happy new year, Happy hacking and take care of yourselves.

[1]: You can browse the code via the web at
http://git.gnome.org/browse/nemiver/log/?h=better-variable-format.

You can otherwise play with the code by:

   git clone git://git.gnome.org/nemiver nemiver
   cd nemiver
   git checkout -b better-variable-format origin/better-variable-format
   ./autogen.sh
   make -j<number-of-cores-you-have>
   sudo make install
   nemiver <a-program-using-c++-standard-containers>
   "Enjoy looking at your containers variables!"

--
		Dodji