Re: Fw: [Nemiver-list] configure option --enable-symvis unrecognised

Dodji Seketeli wrote:
Here is my reply to Paul Fotheringham's email that I forwarded earlier.

----- Message Transféré -----

Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 22:45:58 +0200
De: Dodji Seketeli <dodji seketeli org>
À: Paul Fotheringham <paul fotheringham crocodile-clips com>
Cc: nemiver-list gna org
Sujet: Re: [Nemiver-list] configure option --enable-symvis unrecognised

Hello Paul,

Paul Fotheringham <paul fotheringham crocodile-clips com> wrote:

I've been using nemiver for a while now on a large Qt project and it works really well. Thanks guys!

You are welcome :)

I wanted to see what this option did so I tried enabling with --enable-symvis=yes as suggested by the configure script itself but
then why I try to configure it says

WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-symvis

Ah, ooops. That's a typo in the help message as displayed
by ./configure --help. It should be configure --enable-symsvis. Note
the 's' after "sym". I have fixed that in the master branch of our git
repository. It'll be available in the next release.

What does this option do and is just not supported yet?

The symbol visibility configure switch triggers a set of
gcc compile time options used to reduce binaries size and have fast
executable loading. It basically hides most of the ELF symbols which
would have otherwise been unnecesarily public. You can learn more about
the set of options by reading http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Visibility.
It's disabled by default because at some point in time, some distros
had problems with it. I have just tried it on Fedora 10 and it
works. I don't know the state of things on other distros, to be honest.
FWIW, last time I tried on Debian, it was working.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Dodji. Sorry about posting to the wrong list, I completely forgot it had moved earlier this year!

As regards the --enable-symsvis option I realise that I was once again being silly. For some reason I thought it was enabling an option within nemiver that had something to do with whether variables in the executable being debugged were hidden or visible and I couldn't think what that would be. I now realise from your reply that it is simply an option for nemiver's own symbols! lol.

Regards

Paul Fotheringham
Software Developer

Crocodile Clips Ltd.
43 Queensferry Street Lane, Edinburgh, EH2 4PF
Registration No: 167331, Scotland

This communication is confidential and for use by the intended recipient
only. If the message is received by anyone other than the intended
recipient, please return to the sender by replying to it and take no
further action. Thank you.

The contents of this email may contain personal views which are not the
views of Crocodile Clips Ltd, unless specifically stated.