From: nbenitezl gmail com
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 21:57:17 +0500
Subject: Re: Adding shortcuts support to Nautilus
To: devim outlook it
CC: nautilus-list gnome org

It's a nautilus extension which I think does pretty much what you want. His maintainer Pierre Weiser has done a good job packing it with lot of features.

I changed my code. Now I added a full support to custom shortcuts using a configuration file (look at the pull request on github). Now "my" Nautilus accept a configuration file placed in ~/.config/nautilus/shortcuts with a syntax like this:

<control>k gnome-shell --working-directory="%d"
<shift><control>u gnome-shell -e 'echo test'

%d and %f will be replaced with the path of the current directory and with the name of selected files.

Nautilus should support shortcuts because it's an important piece of the operative system and it's useful to press some keys to run commands in the current folder with the selected files.

I'm not an expert but I've some knowledge about secure programming (to avoid buffer overflow, string format attack, etc.), so I tried to make the code secure, but it's always possible I did some mistakes.

Allow Nautilus to run external executable written in a configuration file could be dangerous, but if a malware can write into the configuration file to execute bad scripts this means the user is already infected and the malware can do everything, so this isn't the problem. To stay more secure I check the permissions. In other words Nautilus allow shortcuts only if a user with more priviledges made the configuration file. Basically Nautilus checks if he can read the file and if he can't write it.

Let me know what do you think about,
Gregorio