Re: Running Nautilus form a custom path

Shyal,

to run Nautilus or any other program from a custom path you only need to do two things:

1. Make sure that the custom path appears in your PATH before other system directories.  In your case you want /custom/path/bin to appear before /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin in your PATH.

2. Make sure that the system can find shared libraries which appear in your custom path.  To do this, you'll need to add /custom/path/lib to a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ (or, on older systems which don't have this directory, directly to /etc/ld.so.conf.)  Then run ldconfig so the system will update its cache of shared library locations.

That should be all you need to do.  It's true that the install has many subfolders (etc, libexec and so on) but since you've configured with --prefix=/custom/path, the binary you've built will look for those subfolders under /custom/path.  cheers -

adam