Running Nautilus form a custom path

Hi,

I've made some changes to nautilus-2.28.4 source (http://hammurabi.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/nautilus/2.28/nautilus-2.28.4.tar.bz2), and would like to install and run them from a custom path.

./configure --prefix=/custom/path/
make install

This does the trick for installing it in a different path, however I'm not certain how to get the system to run it form there. I'm running CentOS release 6.3 (Final).

Adding /custom/path to my $PATH doesn't seem to do the trick, as the install has many other subfolders, i.e bin, etc, lib, libexec, share.

I'm guessing Centos is loading /usr/local/bin/nautilus regardless of what's in the path anyway.

I'm asking because I'd like to release these changes across (many) multiple machines, and installing this patch on each machine is not a feasible solution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shyal Beardsley