Cannot open symbolic links on remote servers (ssh)

I have tried this on two remote server connected to through SSH.

When I list files and folders on the remote server, then symbolic links appear. In the Type column these are labeled 'Link to Folder', 'Link to Binary' etc.

I can perform copy/move/delete operations on these symbolic links.

However, I cannot enter symbolically linked folders (tried double-click, Enter) or open symbolically linked files through Nautilus/Files. This appears to be a regression as it was possible in pre-3.6 versions.

Is there a work-around this apparent bug?

To reproduce this;

On the remove server;
ln -s FILENAME LINKNAME

In Files/Nautilus, open folder containing LINKNAME and double-click it. Nothing happens.

Regards,
Per

Files 3.6.2
Gnome 3.6