Error message at login

Hi folks

I am getting a Nautilus error message upon loggin in that indicates the Nautilus is unable to create the Desktop and .nautilus directories. I currently have both.

Some context: I have just upgraded from RHEL5 to RHEL6, and my local home directory is mapped to my actual home directory on a separate server. I suspect these errors are thrown because Nautlius thinks it is in virgin territory, which it is except for my home directory.

The error message requests that I make the directorties, or give Nautilus the required permissions. Making them is moot because they already exist (though home/.nautilus would have originated from an earlier installation back in RHEL5 days). Giving Nautilus the permission to do so seems dangerous since I absolutely would not want Nautilus to overwrite my existing home/Desktop.

I would like to know if my interpretation of this make sense (I am relatively new to Linux and have no experience working with Nautilus itself), whether Nautilus in fact needs to complete either of these actions, and how I can stop the error messages from appearing if all is in fact well.

Many thanks!

--
Stuart John Muller, Ph.D., G.W.R.
Soil and Water Science Department