Re: compact view removed from Nautilus

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 09:18:40PM +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> Hey Adam,

Hi Allan,

[snip]

> I understand that you like this feature and I can see the reasoning
> behind what you're saying. I just don't think it is a well designed
> feature, and I think it undermines the design of the application as a
> whole.

I see your point: what is presented to the user should be well thought, as
polished as possible, and follow a master plan. Sounds great, really. Plus
I'm all for code removal. I have no huge objections with this particular
change, I can live without compact view. ls | grep is always there, just in
case.

What I didn't like of this whole story is that the discussion on the subject
matter started only *after* the removal.

What's so wrong with discussing any plans for touchy changes *before*
actuating them? I mean, you GNOME designers should know by now what kind of
decisions may upset the public, right? ;-)
I'm not saying the removal is necessarily a bad decision, however it would
make sense to warn people before this kind of things happen, so at least
they have a chance to debate. The key part is: *before*, not *after*.

The fact that the compact view was already removed also makes it nearly
impossible to get it back with any form of argument, at least looking at the
precedents. Others probably feel the same.

Please let me know if there actually was any previous public discussion, and
I'll shut up. :-)

My two cents,

----
Stefano